IP4Teen is a project developed by the University of Alicante with the support of the EUIPO that seeks to raise awareness among European teenagers on the value of intellectual property as well as on the risks associated to piracy and the purchase of counterfeits.
To that end, we have developed a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC), both in Spanish and English, targeting both high school teachers and students of the Master from the Master for secondary education teachers from Spanish universities.
This online course is made of very short modules whose content is linked to two main areas of interest for teenagers: the online world (social media, streaming platforms, etc.) and “clout” (term referring to the influence or power of a person in its own community, for example, influencers through new technologies and fashion).
Once current and future teachers have successfully completed this MOOC, they will be able to use the content of the course and apply it in the classroom, which will enable high school students to:
- Understand the importance to protect the results stemming from a personal investment in creativity and innovation, as well as the need to protect and respect the creativity of others.
- Acknowledge the value of originals and of legal sources of digital content.
- Identify the risks associated to piracy and counterfeits.
This online course is composed of 6 modules:
- IP basics
- IP in the economy
- IP and fashion
- IP and social media
- IP and electronic devices
- IP and digital platforms
Each of the module’s content is easily accessible, easy to address and can be easily introduced through different high school subjects. As such, students can easily be involved in different exercises:
- Interactive content
- Case study
- Additional external resources
The course relies on 3 different types of interactive content that can be use by teachers in class in order to provide examples and increase student participation:
- 4 clicking games part of the “Sport the IPR” section, the objective of which is to prove that intellectual property rights can be found in all kind of products (patents in cell phone technologies, designs in fashion…)
- One “trade mark cemetery” showing the importance of trade mark in our daily lives.
- 2 interactive videos based on everyday situations (online streaming to watch a movie and purchasing football boots) in which one might be tempted to purchase counterfeits or resort to piracy.
During the first phase of the project (February and March 2020), the MOOC will only be available in Spanish, accessible to high school teaches and Master students willing to join the project.
During the second phase of the project, the English version of the MOOC will be developed and disseminated in other European countries.